In this article (Article 8), the approach of the institution is to provide personalized language-learning programs to meet the needs of corporate clients and the students they send for training whenever the client request. And most of the cases instructors must be ready to provide a language and cultural training within a day or two of a student’s arrival, often with little advance notice or pre-arrival information.
Because of course period is so short, the author thought it is important that the curriculum should facilitates the student independent and autonomous learning. I think this idea is very common and plays the key role for language learning as the other authors used for their course design in this textbook. I agree as the author emphasized, the continued self-study after graduation from the course is very important especially like this short course and their learning method enables self study after graduation.
I have an experience that I took intensive English conversation course in Japan which offered two weeks just before I started to the United States for one year stay for corporate internship program at US architects firm. At that time I experienced very fresh stimulation through the tutorial lesson which was a quick response drill with native speaker using very good textbooks which were made by their own institution. Until that time I thought my own way of studying English conversation that using language tapes and listening the radio English conversation program or attending English circle to talk with native speaker was the best studying method. However, that intensive English course was beyond my expectations. I continued to study with the same method even after graduating the course.
I think corporate language programs especially one-on-one tutorial lesson is the best program as long as if it is designed efficiently. Because they can tailor programs to meet individual needs, of course tuition fee is very expensive.
In the article, the questionnaire to the learner would be used primarily to examine and refine the learning plan process to make more effective.
Curriculum framework uses the questionnaire to assess learner’s learning needs, analyze their learning style, define learning objectives that were specific, measurable, and achievable within a given time. Then implement the program plan through the practice of carefully selected learning strategies. And also design a self-study plan to continue their learning after on-site work. Learners’ comfort in their learning environment is also important and considered in the development.
The idea to define curriculum content by core and variable elements enables everyone using the framework to tailor programs to meet individual needs with little time to prepare and few guidelines.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Shuichi, I agree that the approach used in this section can make a difference in learning. I think your experience is very important in understanding this course better.
Post a Comment