Thursday, October 25, 2007

Article 8: A curriculum framework for corporate language

As I was reading this article, at first I did not understand what Laura Hull was trying to get at. It was not until I read the part when she wrote about implementing the program learning plan that it started to sink in on what she was getting at. Her curriculum framework for corporate language, to me, would take a lot longer than six months to put together. I like her strategies. Her format was very comprehensible to me.
Her appendix A: Curriculum framework was more into detail and I would be able to implement this for a syllabus. Appendix B: Sample needs assessment I prefer because this gives the instructor more information on the individual. This assessment tests the individual for proficiency in determining ones level of English competency, seeks information about how the students used or were expected to use English, and finding out how the students perceived their own needs.
Her learner training included both learning styles and learning to direct one's own learning. This meant that the learners became aware of their preferred learning ways of learning, analyzed their benefits and drawbacks, and learned news ways that was necessary to them.
The best part I liked about this article is that there were what I would call follow-ups on their course. Even though the course was over, there was an independent ongoing learning plan which had an initial follow-up, a three month questionnaire, and a six month follow-up workshop in what ever country the student was at. This would make any student feel like they're not left out in the cold. If they're really interested in learning the English language, they would continue to do so, knowing that they will be checked on to see if they really continued to learn the English language.

No comments: