Saturday, September 8, 2007

Reflection on Article 4 Designing a seventh-grade...

As I stated in my response earlier, I practice many of the ideas/methodologies, and other skills related to my teaching practices-both at the elementary and post-secondary levels. I have found that many of the ideas mirror my own practices. I've realized that I "do" have some pretty sound practices established especially for the EN085 classes. I like to think that these ideas are shared universally. However, in the wonderful world of education, many of us seem to have missed the boat (myself included) at the most crucial times. I speak of our human nature and how we get self-absorbed in our neat and tidy little classrooms...and we tend to get wrapped up with the day-to-day stresses. As a result, we are too tired to continue out "professional growth" work. Thus, we miss the boat on great new and refreshing idea, methods, strategies and as Fisher so perfectly stated when referencing her goals for the pilot program, "they didn't say anything" about what or how to teach... I think I have been down that lane too. I, on many occasions, have created something so broad or inexact that even I had a hard time figuring out what to do. So, what did I gain from this activity? Pay attention! Listen (actively), become more aware of what others are doing...who knows maybe (we) can pick up a few new ideas!

as always...
I remain
Si' Maria

"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow; Don't walk behind me, I may not lead; Walk beside me, and just be my friend."--Albert Camus,Nobel Prize-winning French writer

1 comment:

maka said...

I like the way you worded your reflection on this article. What you said was so true, when you said that sometimes we get so wrapped up in our own little comfort zone that we don't tend to look out of the box to see the wider picture. How true it is.