Friday, November 2, 2007

Critical Issues Paper #1

Topic: English Language Acquisition Methods

Through ED661 course I have been studying about course development for English language acquisition. In the textbook “Teachers as Course Developers”, seven articles describes the process of developing a course.
They mention about the key word for English language acquisition is “autonomous learner” respectively.
This means how the teacher can motivate students and after the course completion, how the teacher can make students continue to learn English language.
In the articles of the textbook, each author struggled to design the course as the students become autonomous learners.

I think understanding the English structure and grammar is very helpful in reading and writing even speaking and hearing, especially when native language and target language are not cognate languages.
The grammar-translation method is a kind of classic method, however, I think teaching second language to the students whose native language is not cognate with target language need grammar to understand second language more clearly and more systematically.
If I design the course I will include grammar-translation method in my course content.

No comments: